Professional Standards for BC Educators

The professional standards for BC educations were created by the British Columbia Teachers Council to clearly outline the standards of practice that must be met by each and every educator within British Columbia. The standards go as followed:

1. Educators value the success of all students. Educators care for students and act in their best interests
  2. Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility, and reputation of the profession
  3. Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development
  4. Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools
  5. Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development
  6. Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach
  7. Educators engage in professional learning
  8. Educators contribute to the profession
  9. Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on the present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis

As teachers we have a role to upkeep these standards in our classroom to set an example for not only our students, but also our coworkers, the parents, and everyone else we interact with while teaching. We must commit to social and educational equity and equality within our classrooms and keep these standards in mind to best educate the incoming generations. The standard that especially resonates with me is #7, Educators engage in professional learning. I truly believe that even after we become full-fledged teachers, we will never stop learning. I hope to learn at least one new thing a day for the rest of my life, so that I might be able to pass that knowledge off to someone else one day and positively impact them as I have been impacted. We educators are making a pledge to value the education and well-being of everyone who comes across out paths, and I believe that is such a powerful statement to make, that takes a special and strong kind of person, of which I know I am.